Considered to be the strongest oxidant among regular disinfectants, ozone was first used in 1893 as a treatment for drinking water.
Ozone is O3 triatomic oxygen form that gives off a smell near areas where lightning has struck or electricity has sparked.
Europeans use ozone disinfection to treat their drinking water instead of chlorine, mainly because a wider range of microorganisms can be destroyed by ozone, which can also eliminate odor and taste production in water.
In the United States, the growing concern about water chlorination producing carcinogens has made many consider switching to using ozone in the water disinfection process.
But because ozone cannot be produced or transported for utilization because of its instability, chlorine is more convenient to harness for use.
In Europe, ozone is injected diffused into water supply systems after it has been produced by ultraviolet (UV) irradiation of oxygen or dry air and by discharging electrical corona.
The efficacy of ozone as a disinfectant is due to its strength in being able to kill a wider range of organisms than chlorine.
Yet another advantage of ozone over chlorine is its lack of yielding hazardous by-products like trihalomethanes (THMs) after ozonation, the process it utilizes to destroy microorganisms.
However, like chlorine, ozone is not capable of killing larger organisms, necessitating filtration of water before treating it with ozone.
Although it may be produced on-site, unlike chlorine which has to stored, handled and transported to the location where it will be used, ozone generation requires the use of expensive equipment and the operating costs for such equipment is just as costly.
Water treatment using ozone, meanwhile, has a shorter time of a minute to 10 minutes as compared with the 30 to 45 minutes that chlorination takes.
Chlorine is ineffective against viruses, unlike ozone which can eliminate viruses and bacteria at the same time.
This is especially evident in ozone’s capacity to deactivate the protozoa cryptosporidium found in water.
And did you know that disinfection by ozone is also utilized as a laundry method?
Laundry detergents prove to be more efficient when combined with ozone since it enables the detergents to penetrate through fabrics better without inflicting damage.
Ozone disinfection deters static electricity formation in fabrics, negating the need for fabric softeners.
Ozone cleans while it disinfects and deodorizes laundry because it is a biocide that can kill bacteria with a 99% batting average of success, eliminate foul odors and destroy viruses.
This is the reason why ozone is such a hit with hospitals, medical laboratories and other healthcare-related facilities.
As the more environmental-friendly option to chlorination, disinfection by ozone is utilized by cooling towers and greenhouses and as a generator in the storage of fruits and vegetables, horticulture, odor control, pharmaceutical production of ultra pure water and off-gas treatment in kitchens.
Ozone in disinfection of swimming pools reduces the use for fresh water replacement and acts as a coagulation agent in increasing the performances of the active carbon and sand filters of swimming pools.
Ozone disinfection also reduces the number of incidences from swimming in pools such as respiration issues and red eyes.
Suitable for spring and autumn, bacteria breeding season.
- Efficient and portable.Anti-Bacterial Rate 99%, 360°wider beam angle,cleans and sanitizes air by killing bacteria, viruses, Allergan, mold, effectively improve living environment. You can use it anywhere you want. Combined with timing devices,you clean the air when when you’re going out.
- Generally and easy to intall.E27 base,applicable to ordinary E27 lamp holder.High purity quartz glass tube means it’s more durable. Hands grasp both ends of the tube screwed,do not use too much force.
- Household used. Household disinfection lamp UV germicidal help solve the problem of disinfection home life. Particularly suitable for the baby room, the air within the elderly room, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, and items disinfected.
- Easy to clean. When cleaning the UV lamp, cut off the power and use a clean, soft cloth or alcohol graze hanged gasoline and other organic solution to wipe.
- Note:Ultraviolet radiation can cause skin and eye burns, please pay attention to the protection. Avoid direct exposure of a long time on the human body. It require people and animals waiting outside during disinfection , after disinfection is completed it also need to wait more than 40 minutes for ozene decomposition completing.